Saturday, November 24, 2007

I've finished working in Aus...


So I've now finished my final week at Thebby. The couple of months are over and I left on Friday with champagne and the usual friday night chocolates. It has been great working there and I have really enjoyed working with a lovely bunch of people who have been more than keen to take part in this new initiative I brought with me from Blighty.

The 12 champs have been working really hard and most of them have managed to use the board and the software in several lessons. Some of them have created some pretty impressive stuff and deserve a big pat on the back. I just wish that they would believe in themselves a bit more! They've only had about 10 weeks and they have got more skills than those who have had the board for 2 years!! I guess it has all be crammed in in such a short time that more time is needed to feel comfortable with the new skills that they have acquired. I have no doubt whatsoever however that they will go on to create some fabulous resources and I hope that they will choose to share these with the rest of us on the teachertechnologies Moodle :P

As an aside for Mummy Cow and DF; I have particularly enjoyed the fact that the Principal has a cellar (which contains champagne and a variety of whites and reds) and that he has allowed us to raid it every Friday night for our Whiteboards and Wine sessions! The trick has always been to get me to answer as many questions as possible before I finish the first glass. Obviously, on my last day I had more than one glass and as a result was getting louder and sillier! ;) I was heard to tell them i would email the Immersive team in England to say "oi tart! I want a network install!" Which amused them greatly and made them want to ply me with more alcohol to see what happened next :) IN short... I am sure that what we need to do is have DF get a cellar, which he can stock with the governors permission and we can raid every week at our meetings :) It makes us all far more productive!! ;)

Working with the refugees at the college has been an unforgettable experience and I have learnt so much from them. I can not believe some of the hardships that they have had to face and the next time a student can't come to school because their hamster died I will be reminded of the student who found out her family had been murdered over the weekend and turned up to lessons. I guess the school is a solice and place to find friends and support and I hope that's the way the students at my other place of work see school too.

I was given many generous gifts; Koalas in cuddly, chocolate and keyring form, a cat/pig keyring, a kangaroo fridge magnet and a clock. I'm not sure how I'm going to get that one home but all of these gifts were more than appreciated and I am very grateful for the thought that has gone into them. :) Thank you .. All of you for letting me be a part of your fabulous team :)

No comments: